Wednesday, March 30, 2016

3 (this mission is a dream)

Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Dear family, 

Grow Up
     This is a random way to start off this email, BUT. Last Monday as we were leaving the house, passing by the church (because we live near the church, remember?), we saw that there was a big group of high school students gathered nearby. Turns out...they were watching a "street fight" go down between two students. Oh my goodness. 

     I am rolling my eyes a million times now as I am writing this. And pardon me for my little rant here. But these students need to grow up! I guess it's because I've been on this mission for a year and a half now and that is why I really know what it means to...be an "adult", and...well. Ugh. Those students need to grow up. I remember trying to cross the crowd and I passed by one of the two boys that were in the fight, and his eyes were dead fixed on his "opponent," and just right before I crossed him, he spat on the ground right in front of me. Phew! One more step and he would've spat ON me. I was NOT happy. But thank goodness I am a missionary and have to be polite. Okay. My rant is over. 

+ + + + + + + + + + +

My sister
    So here's another random fact. Did you guys all already know that I have a sister? On this mission? Sister Lockwood's OTHER "anak". Her second "anak," here on the mission. Her second trainee. Yes! So my sister's name is Sister Narag. She is Filipina. This last week I had exchanges with the STLs and ended up having to spend the night in their apartment- coincidentally Sister Narag's apartment, too! So we bonded and chatted and get this: Sister Lockwood, Sister Narag, and I have ALL served in the EXACT same areas. What! Talk about being one big family. Sister Lockwood and I served in Santa Monica C. Sister Narag got sent there too. Sister Narag was "born" in Makati 3/4, with Sister Lockwood. After Sister Lockwood left that area, I replaced her. 

     We're just too tight of a sisterhood! Makes me laugh. But for real, though, getting to chat with Sister Narag and to hear of how the people back in Santa Monica are doing was great. It's good to know that people still remember you from when you served there. You plant, and others harvest! 

     (P.S. Sister Narag is the sister in the picture with whom I am holding ice-cream cones with! She passed her one-year mark the day I was in the apartment so I bought her 12 ice cream cones. And then my STL said, "You're so good at celebrating!" Ha.)

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Easter: it's more fun in the Philippines
This week I saw: 
1. People carrying statues of Christ and walking down the roads in a looooonnnnnng line of procession
2. People re-enact the scene at Jerusalem right before Christ gets crucified, meaning, people were wearing Roman soldier outfits and there were men carrying wooden crosses on their backs and the "Roman soldiers" were whipping them. Ya. They whipped them. Okay. 
3. Statues of Christ.
4. Statues of Christ.
5. Statues of Christ.
6. A lot of statues of Christ where He looks very sad. 
#itsmorefuninthephilippines

+ + + + + + + + + + +

My lot
     As a district in the Makati 1 ward, we have seen a lot of miracles happen over the course of these last three months. The work has definitely picked up in each of our individual areas. The elders are seeing miracles in their areas, as are we. 

     During our weekly coordination meeting with the ward council and ward missionaries, we get to update everyone on individuals that need help in order for them to progress (more quickly). When the zone leaders stood up to give their report last Saturday and they started telling us about how GREAT everything was going and how soon all these people could get baptized...I found myself thinking, "I am so happy for them. They deserve the rewards of their hard work. Sister Kumari and I have definitely seen our area improve from the first time we both came into it, both of us being new at the same time. But how come all these people we have found/are finding/are working with...have so many problems that they need to overcome, before they can get baptized? How come the people the elders are finding are so golden that the way to baptism seems to be easy peasy, lemon squeezy? Why are OUR investigators having it so hard?

    I don't think I'll ever be able to fully comprehend why some people suffer more than others. I love these people. How I wish that I could give them the WORLD. How I wish that I could take away all their sadness and fix their broken families and give them TVs and build them nice houses. How I wish that it would just be so easy for them to believe everything that we share with them. How I wish for them to be happy. The real, true kind of happy. 

     I guess it is just me and Sister Kumari's lot to be working with THESE people. There are specific lessons we are learning from THEIR trials. I have no doubt that these investigators and less-actives of mine can do it. I know they can. It'll take time and a lot of hard work, but I know that they can do what it takes to BECOME happy, through the gospel of Jesus Christ. But until then...we'll just keep working hard with them, right? 

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Lopez letter
    Many updates today, huh! This week I received from Sister Narag (who just got off Palawan recently) a letter that was....FROM THE LOPEZ FAMILY! Oh bless their heart. And bless mine for waiting ONE WHOLE YEAR!!!!!!!! To hear back from them!!!!!!!!! I wanted to CRY just seeing the envelope and the words "Sister Teo" on the front. Attached is a picture of their letter. SO much love for them. 

+ + + + + + + + + + +

Goodbye Nicole
     I just told everyone Sister Veras' real name. 
SISTER VERAS GOES HOME ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
     All the exclamation points in the world cannot sufficiently describe how I feel about that. #MYfightisnotover


     I love you all so much! I am sorry to hear about what happened to the Coffins. My heart broke hearing the story from Gladys. I wish I could heal broken bones too so that Sister Coffin will be alright. But thank goodness that...we have the Savior. 

    And how much I have come to love, adore, and be grateful for Him. 


With love,
Sister Teo











No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014