Monday, May 4, 2015

No Greater A Calling

Monday, May 4, 2015
Dear family,

Aller-aller-allergy!
     As I am writing this I am thoroughly amused at all that has happened this past week, especially with the FULL-SCALE RASH that covered my body! I have no idea what I am allergic to, but I am definitely allergic to SOMETHING, alright! I'm not quite sure what else I have not experienced here on this island (Lice? Heaven forbid!) but now I can add "full-body rash" on that list! This really brought me to a new level of humility - Heavenly Father is stripping me of all my pride, I swear - as I realized that I was now like the people in the Bible with leprosy/skin diseases that begged Christ to heal them and make them clean and whole.
     I freaked out because I thought I'd have the red splotches all over my body until 2016 and I was despairing that I'd return home like a zombie and I was not the happiest sister missionary...but thankfully I got a blessing, took Benadryl (that stuff knocks you out; I was out for two nights), and now you wouldn't be able to tell that I had the worst allergic reaction of my life this week! 


"You have learned what you needed to learn"
     We had interviews with President Ostler this week and...I love him. I love President Ostler. It was a much needed period of time for me to talk to him because I'd been feeling really down with the slow progress of our investigators, PLUS I got that rash and thought it was the end of the world...you know, just a bunch of factors combined. It was a hard week. And I was feeling really defeated. I struggled to remember why I wanted to come on a mission. I struggled to understand why I was even sent to Palawan. 
     But President - bless his heart. A minute into our conversation he said, "It's been hard, hasn't it? I'm sure you have experienced some trials recently. But you have grown. The minute you entered the room I could feel the maturity that you've undergone. I could sense the change in you from five months ago." And then he said, "I remember the first time we all met and had dinner at the mission home with your parents. I remember you being so young and so innocent then." And he continued, "But I know that you've really matured since. You've experienced alot of things since." 
     I cried; no surprise there. We cried together. And as our conversation went on, he said, "Before sending you over, I got on my knees in my office and prayed about where I should send you. And I felt very strongly that you needed to come to Palawan. But now...now I feel that you have learned all that you needed to learn here. 
     "You have learnt the lessons that Heavenly Father sent you here to learn." 
     Since leaving President's office I have not stopped thinking about all the things that I HAVE learned here. Of the hard things and the good things. Of the happy times and the sad. Five and a half months have gone by just like that. A missionary's first area is where they learn to be a missionary. Santa Monica, Palawan, will forever be sacred ground to me. 


Putting the city girl back into the city
     And so on that note...I'M GETTING TRANSFERRED BACK TO MANILA THIS WEEK!!! My new companion will be Sister Barrido, Filipina, two transfers my senior. I will be in BONIFACIO (rich people area), and Mom, I asked where that was and they said it's basically the area of SM Aura. No idea where that is and if we've been there together as a family, BUT AHHH! I AM GOING BACK INTO THE CITY! I couldn't fall sleep last night after President's phone call to me. 
     This will be SUCH a change! It makes me think of Sister Lockwood and how she had to make that transition as well twelve weeks ago, and now it is my turn! Back to tall buildings and city people and having to actually CARE-care about how I look like. It's different serving on an island and in an area of humble people where they're not money-minded/particular about how "fashionable" or how "presentable" you look. And now I'm going to enter that world! Mixed emotions, right and left. My first area and my second, upcoming area could not be more different! 


Leaving behind miracles
     Sister Lockwood and I experienced the miracles of re-activations when we were together and until now the families that we loved/still love so much...are still active! They still come to church! They are doing SO well! The light has returned! They are more beautiful than EVER! The Lopezs. The Segovias. Joy Custodio. Keep praying for them! I love them SO much and I cannot wait to come back and see them again! 
     MYETH AND JARWIN- Dad, thank you for your emails every week in which you remind me that planting is just as important as harvesting. Yesterday (Sunday) we had two YSAs come to church on their own and they are two of our new investigators from this past week. 
     Myeth is a miracle story all in itself and I am sad that I have to leave behind a new friend. She is so ready for the gospel, I KNOW she is. She really has a desire to find out for herself what the truth is and the greatest blessing of all was when we all walked into the sacrament hall and she spotted FIVE friends from school! She had NO idea that they would be there! But already she has immediate friends at church! I pray and pray and pray that Sister Quilicot and her new companion will continue to help her come to know the truth! 


Mother's Day Call!
     Saturday, May 9! I am not sure yet the exact time of when I will call but President has given us permission to check our emails again this week to confirm with our families when we will call...I'm thinking probably in the morning around 10 am or maybe noon? I'm not sure yet! I'll have to talk with Sister Barrido when I get to Bonifacio. But in the meantime, PREPARE YOUR SKYPE ACCOUNT BECAUSE A MISSIONARY IS GOING TO CALL HOME! 


I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! Thank you for all your prayers. This week has been hard but it has also been one where I have come closer to the Lord. I love Him and I know that He has great things in plan for the people of Bonifacio that I will get to be a part of. 





With love,
Sister Teo

No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014