Monday, May 18, 2015

Progress

Monday, May 18, 2015
Dear family,

AND THE CITY GIRL IS NO LONGER AFRAID OF THE CITY
Here are a few of my "Manila adventures" from this past week:
     1) Tricycles zooming right past me. Bless my toes; I'd be surprised if I leave this city without having my feet getting run over.

     2) I don't remember the last time I felt so full in a week. We get fed. Alot. (That's not why I love the members! I mean, I love them for their charity and kindness, but they are amazing in overall terms!)

     3) I met Sister Dones (a member) this week and she is evidence that the snatchers of Manila do not spare anyone! One of her earlobes is split in half because a long time back, a snatcher snatched her earring right off of her ear and it bled and bled and bled and now her earlobe is literally split. All because of a golden earring. Okay, lesson learnt. Won't be wearing bling-bling out on the streets too often!

     4) RATS. Are. Everywhere. Well, mostly just the dead ones. I've seen so much run-over rats this week. Just fat blobs of dead skin with their tails sticking out. Ew!

     5) Liver. Liver, as in food liver. The Filipinos - well, just my roommates/the sisters I live with- are super surprised that I can eat what they eat. This sounds gross if you just read it out- "Ew, Sister Teo eats liver?"- but it's the normal kind of liver that we eat! The liver you cook, Mom! The Filipinos love that I eat what they eat. Well, like what you always used to say, Mom: "If I can eat this, so can you." You've raised me well.


THE POWER OF MUSIC
     There are fewer things more powerful than being transported back in time with the help of music. This past week at our zone meeting, our zone leader Elder Osguthorpe sang "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" and goosebumps ran all up and down my body. I remembered being five/six, or even younger, and being in Daddy's car. We used to own a CD with all-instrumental versions of the hymns, and I can clearly remember "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief" being one of those songs. Hearing Elder Osguthrope sing that song took me back to being young, fresh, wide-eyed, innocent. Alot has changed since then but I know that the feelings of love that I had in my heart back then, as well as now, will forever remain the same. Music can carry us through many, many hard times. Especially the hymns. Treasure them. I know that they will become my children's lullabies. 


TAKING A NEWBIE OUT
     Bonifacio zone is mostly always in-charge of leading MTC exchanges. Remember when I went on MY MTC exchanges last November? When we went out into the field and worked with the missionaries in Quezon city (Sister Osumo) and then in Manila as well? Well, I got to do that with the MTC missionaries this last week! I'll send some pictures, but man! I cannot believe that it has been over half a year since I was in their shoes! It felt...it felt strange being the one leading this new sister, this new missionary. I remember being her! I remember being in her shoes! I remember being as nervous as she was. But I have so much confidence in her. Her name was Sister Loyola. She is half-Filipina as well and is from Missouri. I'll attach pictures of us later!


AND...197 PEOPLE CAME TO CHURCH
     Bishop was showing me the church attendance numbers last Sunday. We were at 185 last week (or was it 192?) and this week we were at 192! The numbers have kept increasing every week/month since January. I am so happy for this ward. They are doing SO well. There is power in the work of the Lord when the ward is UNITED. Unity drives love, and love drives the work. Sister Barrido and I had EIGHT investigators turn up to church We surpassed our goal! We were so happy. Those eight people definitely added to the numbers!!!


BRYAN
"He is clean, he is clean."

     Those were the only three words running through my head the minute he came out of the water. "He is clean." Bryan is doing so, so well. It helps that he has instant fellowshippers at church (with his girlfriend Yuchie and Yuchie's family). It helps that he is GLOWING with a new light. It helps that he has officially begun his journey back to his Heavenly Father, having been provided with the right direction and the right tools to do so. I am so proud of him. I am proud of Yuchie, who referred him to the missionaries. I am proud of her and for her missionary efforts. Bryan Delo Santos. He's a great kid. Only 19 (or 20?) but we are really pushing for him to start preparing to serve a mission in a year or so. He can do this. He is so great. GOLDEN! Now we are just going to have to nurture him, just like what you said in your email, Dad. Don't worry! The ward's got this. This ward is AWESOME. 


OTHER NEWS
     The elders will be having a double wedding-double baptism this coming Thursday! I am so excited! Bishop Bongolan is probably the most excited of them all. He gets to marry them! It'll be held at the chapel, 3 p.m. Can't wait!
We are going to have two more baptisms on May 29. Mary Chris (17 but turning 18 this year) and Erlinda (50s).They are neighbors and Erlinda is "part-member" because her son Gerald (14?) is one of our recent converts! Yay! Keep praying for them!
+ + + + + + + + + +
I love you all so much! Mom, you were right. The first couple of days that I was here were transition days. I love the city. I'm not afraid anymore. The sounds, the non-stop sounds, they don't bother me anymore. I'm back where I first started. 

Let's keep on going,

With love,
Sister Teo







No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014