Monday, April 6, 2015

Not Our Credits To Claim

Monday, April 6, 2015
Dear family, 

(This computer won't send pictures :( Sorry!)

NOT OUR CREDIT TO CLAIM
     Remember the Lopez family that I told you guys about at the start of the mission? The less-active family that Sister Lockwood and I worked REALLY hard with to get them back to church? This last week, Sister Quilicot and I had an amazing FHE with them where we showed them Easter videos and talked about the Atonement. It was a powerful lesson and we all felt the spirit. 

     They are doing so well and I am so proud of Brother Lopez for really stepping up his game and making sure that he and his family are active in church. Something that he said in that hour really caught my attention, though, and it was something that I will never forget. I pondered on his words for a long time. 

     As he was reflecting on how the Atonement has helped him and his family in the past year, he said, "I am so thankful for the missionaries that kept coming back to us, time and time again. But I am especially thankful to you, Sister Teo, as well as to Sister Lockwood, for bringing us back to church, for reactivating us." 

     I never thought I could feel so swell with joy. How sweet were his words, how comforting was the compliment. But I knew, in that moment, that this credit wasn't ours to claim. Sister Lockwood and I didn't bring them back. The Savior did. We just helped them understand what to do. We were just instruments in the hands of God. Christ did everything. He broke their hearts. And then he healed them. I will forever be grateful that Sister Lockwood and I had the opportunity to bring back four souls to Christ, but I know, without a doubt, that Christ had everything to do with this. 


WORKING WITH A FRIEND
     Sister Quilicot is THE BEST! What I would give for all of you to meet all of my companions one day. I am so blessed. These sisters are all so patient with me and my weaknesses and I have never had to be so humble. God knows best. 


GENERAL WOMEN'S CONFERENCE
     I urge all of you to watch the womens' conference because IT WAS THE BOMB! It was SO good. I won't ruin it for ya if you haven't gotten a chance to check it out yet, but they showed two videos that were just...beautiful. Check it out (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4yGDidpVU), spread the word, talk about it in FHE at home, live the principles taught. It will uplift your week. Watching it really made me miss home. It made me miss you guys, my family. I am thankful for the family that I DO have and I am so thankful especially, for you, Mom and Dad. 


AR
     This week was a bit of a whirlwind with Ar. We had taught him the Word of Wisdom the week before and committed him to live it. I remember being so confident that it would be somewhat of a breeze for him. But then came Tuesday and we went back to him and he told us that he had given in. I can't tell you when the tears started but all I know is that there were tears that entire hour that we were teaching him. I'm not quite sure why I am so devastated- well, I mean, I DO know- but I was just so sad. I really believe in him and I know that he can change his life. I know that it will be so hard. I know that it IS so hard. But I know that he can do it. 

     So long story short, that entire lesson I barely spoke more than two minutes because I just couldn't talk and I was just in tears and it was probably really awkward for the poor kid. 

But things have been better sine then. He has gone from seven sticks of cigarettes a day (maybe even more) to just two, as of yesterday. We committed him to just one for today. He's been coming to church and reading his assignments and he has been praying. I know that with the Lord's help, he can start anew. 


     There are so many things that happen on this mission that I hold so near and dear to my heart. My weekly emails home do not justice to the many miracles that I see and witness each week. On Good Friday, we weren't able to teach many lessons and that frustrated me, but God blessed me with the tender mercy of seeing the elders bless a sick family. On Easter Sunday, we had six children come to church and I remember walking out to the road, freaking out, wondering how on earth we were going to walk to church with SIX CHILDREN - okay, don't worry, I've realized that that's actually TOTALLY against the rules and that won't happen again - when out of no where, a member drives by in his tricycle and just puts all the kids in it and off he rides. That was a miracle that fell right into my lap.

Keep loving all, keep praying, and be happy. The gospel isn't hard, life is!

Can't wait for General Conference!

With love,
Sister Teo

No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014