Monday, April 20, 2015

Always a rainbow after the rain!

Monday, April 20, 2015
Dear family, 

     I am coming to realize that often times, God stretches us and it causes alot of discomfort, but He never leaves us alone. He tests us just enough, just until we feel like we can't do it anymore...and then He steps in and reminds us that He is always there. 

THE DOGS HERE HAVE CLASS
     First time this has happened to me since being here: It is night time, probably around 8:00 pm. Sister Quilicot and I get up and are ready to leave from a lesson that we have when I realize, "Wait a sec. Why do I only have one pair of my shoes?" It is dark and we can't really see so we whip out our flashlights and are hunting around for it...when we notice...yes, we notice the neighbor's dog in the distance. Chewing on something. MY POOR GEOX SHOES! MOM! HAHA. GEOX! Of all my shoes a dog could have bitten and chewed at, this dog chose to run away with my good pair of shoes. They definitely can smell good quality shoes. 

     Ending of the story: We savaged my poor shoe, it was disgusting putting my foot in with all that doggy saliva all over, but it made for a GREAT laugh! I remember just laughing my head off. Only here in the Philippines! Good thing the dog didn't run away with it! 

EXCHANGES 
     So if you guys didn't already know, we have what we call exchanges once a transfer cycle (once every six weeks), where the sister-training-leaders go on "exchanges" with each companion. This week I had the privilege of heading into Puerto Princessa city- where the STLs area is- and Sister Quilicot was left to lead our area of Santa Monica. I consider this past exchange a tender mercy of God, especially to be taken out of the area even just for a day, considering all that happened over that last week. It was spiritually refreshing. It was much needed. Nothing big happened; we did missionary work as usual. But the best part of it all was being able to be with Sister Dennis. She was my angel this week. It was good being able to talk with a missionary leader and hearing what words of counsel/advice she had. I am so, so grateful to God for continually blessing me with such good company. (Plus we had Halo-Halo at Chowking for lunch...so, can't get better than that!)

IF YOU PRAYED FOR IT TO RAIN ON PALAWAN...
     Then I LOVE YOU! Thank you! IT FINALLY RAINED! This past week! Just for an hour or two, but ahhh! The rain! It rained when I was over in the city, which made it all the more beautiful for me. I don't think I will ever take for granted the beauty of rain again. It hasn't rained again since but there are rain clouds in the sky and I am hopeful that God will be merciful towards this island! 

     The rain- it was more like a really short, sudden storm- reminded me of one Friday last year. A Friday that I had with Sister Lockwood. It was probably my second Friday in the field and we were both feeling a little frustrated, for whatever reason. We were sitting out in our living room when it started THUNDERING and POURING RAIN outside. I recall her and I sitting on the little couch in our living room and listening to the audio versions of Mormon Messages I had brought with me on my iPod. I remember that being one of the first moments where I felt like Sis and I were truly united in this work, "bearing one another's burdens", that sort of a thing. 

     The rain this past week was reminiscent of that experience. As Sister Dennis and I sat by the window (where our study area was), we talked, it thundered, and I knew that that moment was a mercy of God. 

DAVID AND GOLIATHS
     Perhaps the biggest, most poignant memory of this past week was when Sis and I went over to the Godoy house. They are Ar's relatives and all live under the same roof. But this week we taught Ar's cousins instead, all of whom are less-actives. 

      Imagine this: Two young women- me, 19 years old, and Sister Quilicot, 23. And then in front of us are three men of different age groups. Jesse, 17. Richard, 25. Rolando, 30. And just as a preface, no missionaries have ever been able to get Richard and Rolando to sit down in a lesson in a LOOONG TIME. That was my first miracle. The fact that we got these two men to sit down with us...I don't even know where that came from. 

     So there we are, just two young women. These three boys/men, each with their own vices to conquer, are in front of us. Telling us that they want to change. To get rid of their vices. Rolando's is alcohol. Jesse lacks direction in his life. Richard...he just doesn't know what he wants to do. Two young women, like two little Davids, trying to conquer and calm down three Goliaths. I don't know how we got these men of vices to sit down and listen to us. To commit to keep learning with us. There was a special atmosphere, a special spirit, as we sat and we talked. As they listened. As we tried our best to discern how to help them. We were Davids and they were Goliaths. And their battles will be hard to fight. But at least we are on the first step of confrontation now! 


I know that there is more to life than waking up and eating and sleeping and then waking up again and eating and sleeping again. There is more to life than that. Everything that I am learning here...I would never exchange it for anything else. I want to come home a better person! More refined. Kinder. Better. More charitable. More humble.

So let's keep trying! All together. 







With love,
Sister Teo

No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014