Monday, March 23, 2015

THIS ISLAND

Monday, March 23, 2015
Dear Family, 

A LITTLE LAUGHTER GOES A LONG WAY
     This past week we had a Family Home Evening at one of our members' houses with an investigator present. It was perhaps one of the best FHEs that I have ever attended. Not necessarily because there was deep doctrine preached. Not even because my Tagalog was perfect, because, let's face it, it's not. And it wasn't even because they fed us after (yay for Filipino spaghetti! It was one of the kids' birthdays.) It was great because we laughed. We enjoyed each other's company. We had fun! It's not forbidden to have fun even though we are missionaries. I know that life gets a little serious sometimes. Family - sometimes the atmosphere in our house gets a little serious. (Don't deny it!) When that happens, I urge you guys to...JUST LAUGH! Just like the family pictures that Gladys sent me this week! Silly pictures. Laugh! Laughter heals. Laughter works. Be happy!


THE INFLUENCE OF A GREAT LEADER
     Because I know that President and Sister Bird are leaving back to the States in a while...I just wanted to tell you guys about how important it is to be an example to everyone around you. The Birds will forever be two people that I look up to with all of my heart. President Bird, especially. I remember the first time I met him was in our Sunday School class. He was our brand new teacher and at first I thought, "WOW this brother is LOUD!" We all know how humorous President Bird is. I wondered, "WHO IS THIS MAN?!" But then at the end of that first lesson, President Bird said something to us that I have never forgotten since then. He said it with such clarity and conviction and power in his voice that to this day I cannot shake off the memory of that very scene. He quoted FTSOY (For The Strength Of Youth): "God can make more out of your life than you can."

I love the Birds. I am so thankful to have been blessed by their counsel and friendship. PRESIDENT OF ABBOTT HEALTH! THAT'S BIG! I am so happy for President Bird.

Keep doing what you do, family. Be a good example to all. You never know whose life will be changed because of you.


JENNYBEL & HER BAPTISM
     This was a first. Sweet, sweet Jennybel was ready to get baptized this past Saturday. But come 1 p.m. (which was the time of her baptism), she was still a no-show. She wasn't our baptism, she isn't even our investigator. But I feel like after the events of Saturday, Sister Himarangan, Jennybel and I will always share a special bond of sorts.

     She was late because she was in tears. She had just gotten into an argument with her boyfriend, who was also her ride to church, and he'd bailed on her last minute. She was crying. She was not dressed. She was heartbroken. All before her baptism. The elders took Sis. H and I with them to talk to her. To console her. I remember her opening the door and seeing her standing there, puffy-eyed, sobbing. I remember leaning in and just giving her a big hug and her crying on my shoulder. I remember Sister Himarangan doing the same thing. We calmed her down and sat down and talked. We made her laugh. We tried our best to help her remember the big picture. In those fifteen minutes that we were together I felt an immense love for this sweet 18-year-old. Her life will never be the same since her baptism. And Satan knew that. That is why everything unfolded the way it did right before she was going to make her commitment to the Lord to serve him. I know that Satan is as real as Heavenly Father and Jesus are. We must do all we can to make sure that Satan NEVER succeeds! It is so interesting that I'm saying this. Sometimes I feel so inadequate to "bring people unto Christ" because who am I? I am only 19 years old. 19 years old and trying to change the world. How? The power granted by the Lord to His missionaries is so real.


MORMON 9:7-11
     Mormon 9 is my favorite chapter in the Book of Mormon. READ IT! Especially verses 7-11. I love that we believe that God still speaks to us today. Why wouldn't he? He is our loving Father in Heaven. I know that he speaks to ME when I come to him in prayer.


AR*
(not his real name)
    Brother Ar is probably the biggest tender mercy and miracle of my week. We have been teaching him for three weeks now and I cannot tell you the changes that have taken place in this 19-year-old's life since that first day. I have come to feel such great charity for him. I believe in him. I have so much faith in him.

     Ar's parents died when he was young. He isn't close to his siblings. He has been moved around from family to family since young. Third grade education only. Knew little or nothing about God. Never prayed. Never went to church. Smokes and drinks whenever. Broken family background.

     The first time I found out about Ar's entire story, my heart broke. It broke because I have seen the effects of broken families on the lives of many people near and dear and close to me. I know the pain that they feel. I know because for a long time in high school I was told all about it. I couldn't help but feel so sad for Ar.

     It has been a long time since this area of Santa Monica C has seen a baptism. The last baptism was in September of last year. At the start of my mission I didn't think too much about it. But it wasn't until the start of last transfer that I started to panic. Why aren't baptisms happening? What's going on? Where are the people that I KNOW God is preparing to receive his gospel?

     Ar recently moved to Palawan from Manila. He is staying with his uncle and aunt and cousins who are members. They referred him to us three weeks ago.

I refuse to believe that his move is a coincidence.

     Three weeks ago, when we taught him for the first time...he was not serious at all. He was cracking jokes left and right. He would sit with his legs up on the chair. He would get up and leave halfway and return. He was not focused. Or maybe...he was nervous. The second time we went over, he smoked a cigarette right before we taught him. He cracked more jokes. He tried to be flirty. He laughed excessively.

But family, friends, everyone and anyone reading this: the gospel brings about real change.

This last week, after having met with him for the third week in a row, Ar is changing.

     He prayed. By himself. Before he would never want to. He didn't even know if God was there. He had to follow along to someone else's prayer, repeating their words. This week he prayed, heartfelt, sincere. I wanted to cry when he began his prayer. He had been so reluctant to before. But now, right in front of us, he was praying to God to help him know the truth for himself. Now he listens. He sits still. He ponders. He thinks. He gives sensible answers. He reads his assignments. He respects us. He is happier. His countenance has changed. I KNOW that he has felt something during our lessons. I KNOW how good this gospel will be for him. I believe in Ar. And yesterday, he came to church. I'm not sure that he has ever been to a church in his entire life.

I don't believe that Ar moved over to Palawan out of pure coincidence.

     We extended him a baptismal date for May 2. He accepted. He was serious when he accepted the date. He committed to prepare himself. That is six weeks away. I would be lying if I didn't tell you that I am terrified. I know how real Satan is. He is going to do everything he can to make sure that Ar doesn't make it there. I am so scared.

    But I KNOW that Heavenly Father loves Ar. I know that Ar's relatives love him too. They wouldn't have referred him to us if they didn't want to help him.

     I know there is something, even a PARTICLE of action, that me and my companion can do to help Ariel. I believe in this investigator. I am going to move forward with faith. Please pray for him. I have. So much. So earnestly. Please pray for Ar.


AND SO MY JOURNEY ISN'T OVER
I want to share with you guys what President Ostler sent me this past week:

     "...I want you to know that I received your plea to stay on the island for another transfer...Thank you for sharing your feelings openly with me. That is the kind of relationship we should have.

     I want to be open with you and let you know that I prayed about it before I read your email and I felt that...your work is not finished there.

The Lord knows. He always does.

Love,
President Ostler"

     That's right guys! Sister Teo will be on Palawan for another six more weeks. I'll hit my sixth-month mark here. That's a-third of my mission spent here on Palawan island. A THIRD! In one area! I am so, so grateful to God. He understands. He knows. I'm going to have to work really hard this next transfer! I don't know yet who my next companion will be, but I know that I will learn SO much from her, just as I have from Sister Lockwood and Sister Himarangan. I love them both.


     I love you guys! The work is great. Missionaries are always so happy, not because they don't have hard days. They do. I do. But we are happy because we choose to. Because we have God on our side. I know that there are souls to be saved here in Santa Monica C. I believe in this area. I believe in these people.

With love,
Sister Teo


No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014