Monday, March 16, 2015

The River Down Under

Monday, March 16, 2015
Dear family,

     I APOLOGIZE! This email is coming in later than usual on our P-day and I am glad that none of you have sent me emails where you are freaking out wondering where I am. Don't worry. I am safe. I am always safe.

     WE WENT TO THE UNDERGROUND RIVER EARLIER! THE FAMOUS PALAWAN UNDERGROUND RIVER! I am so blessed. This excursion to the Underground River is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for missionaries now! They used to be able to go but then it became forbidden...and today we had special permission from President Ostler to go as a zone. We are so lucky! There are a whole lot of pictures for you guys from this past week. Enjoy!


THE REASON BEHIND EVERY RULE
     So remember how before the mission I was super excited that the Filipinos love music and that pop music will be playing EVERYWHERE here? Well. I've made up my mind...that I've changed my mind. I don't like it; hearing music makes me homesick. At first I thought that it would be a tender mercy to here bits and pieces of home, of tunes and sounds that I held dear to me before the mission. But now...Now I'm not so sure. I cannot listen to a pop song without tearing up! That is how bad it gets! I'd rather go my whole mission without hearing any Taylor Swift or Eminem (what) or whoever else. It's just easier that way! I testify that there is a reason for every rule! God knows what He's doing with His missionaries!


I HAD SOCIAL MEDIA BEFORE THE MISSION?
     Okay, one more thing about social media, and then I'll stop. I promise I'm a spiritual missionary. Okay but. I FORGOT ALL MY PASSWORDS! To all my accounts! My email account. My FB account. I forgot what my passwords were! Just my luck! Not quite sure what to do about that since in about a year's time I'm probably not even going to KNOW. Hmm... ;)


"HE IS SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW"
     This week, Sister Himarangan and I met with the Saquing family. They are a part-member family- only the Grandpa (the Lolo) was a member. BUT Grandpa Saquing passed away about a few weeks ago. That's how we got to know them. The Elders' Quorum brethren visited their family and eventually told us about them since they live in our area. So we headed over to say hi this past week, and they are LOVELY! So lovely. Again, very humble people. But so lovely. We had a short lesson because we were short on time, but during the lesson I felt so strongly that Lolo Saquing was so happy. And so I told them. I testified to them that what they were doing, these first few steps they were taking, were good. I told them that I felt his presence. I know that sounds a little creepy because we know that Lolo Saquing is dead...but I know that he was with us. I know that he was happy seeing his family members (daughter, son, and many grandchildren) gathered around the missionaries. Something can be done here. I know that the spirit of Elijah will turn their hearts around.


MY ACCENT
     "To be offended is a choice." 
     The Filipinos are very straightforward people. They tell you things like it is. Mom, the longer I am here in the Philippines the more I am realizing how NON-FILIPINO you are! You have totally become Singaporean/whatever-culture-we-are-in-our-house. The Filipinos tell the truth. And this week one of our less actives, Sister Jennefer, straight up laughed at my accent! Ouch. But it's okay. Said Elder...someone...(can't remember who): "To be offended is a choice." And so I just laughed it off. I'm trying! And I think I'm getting pretty alright. I mean. I'm definitely not a natural and that makes it easier on my part to shake off the laughs, but I know I am trying! The gift of tongues is real, guys! I can speak to people here and they understand me and I understand them! The accent will come :)


HOT & COLD, YES & NO
     This is basically my body right now. Diarrhea went away on Tuesday, but then just yesterday I caught something, don't know what it is. The common cold? You know. The usual symptoms. Sore throat. Feeling really, really hot but also really cold. Really tired. I feel a fever coming! All that activity we had at the underground river earlier...BUT DON'T WORRY. It's more fun in the Philippines!


ZONE CONFERENCE
     Sister H and I did it! We taught our classes. And we succeeded! Or at least I'd like to think so :) Good thing we were just a small group of us here on Palawan. 50? 60? Either way we did it. President Ostler even sat in on one of our classes to observe us. Did I freak out inside? YES! But! The spirit helped. I hope it did. The best part of all the preparation for teaching though...might have been that we learnt the most. Us, as teachers. Teachers always learn the most. Can you imagine how much I would've learnt in a year from now?! I love this mission. I love learning. I remember not really having a "fire" for school and education when I was a kid, but as I went into middle school/high school and realized that I was pretty decent in certain things, that fire just enlarged! I love learning. I love school. I miss BYU. But to all things their proper time and season.

     I love President and Sister Ostler. I cannot tell you guys- I cannot testify enough- how much God knows each of us. He places people in our lives at the specific time we need them. I know that President Ostler was called to be president of the Manila mission at the right time. He is such a spiritual man. He talked to us about being clean. He talked to us about being humble enough to repent. He emphasized that when we are clean is when we can change lives, when we will feel the spirit more abundantly in our lives. I know that we can all change and repent, whether it be of big things or of small things. He is a man of God! And so is Sister Ostler!


     So this week has been full of things OTHER than proselyting, e.g. zone conference, district conference (two days), THE UNDERGROUND RIVER, and then there's zone meeting tomorrow. Plus I've had to rest at home a night because of feeling unwell. We didn't teach as many lessons this week but hopefully that will change NEXT week! Please pray that my almost-fever will go away! It is miserable being sick and hot when it is already so HOT here!

     Sister Himarangan goes home next week! NEXT WEEK! This time next week she won't even be here with me. She will be in Manila with her going-home batch. I have come to love her like my sister. I know that God answers prayers. I remember pleading with Him to fill me with charity for my sister, and he did. I love Sister H and she is so bright. She has great things in store for her. Sometimes the relationships that we form with our companions are more important than those we form with our investigators. I am so blessed to have had two great companions.

     I LOVE YOU ALL! I pray for you guys always. I know how blessed we are to have this gospel of Jesus Christ. I will keep serving hard. Work hard too, back at home! Life is too short. Be happy. Be loving. "Be forgiving." (Daddy-stole your line.)    


With love,
Sister Teo

P.S. Thank you Krys! I know it's a bunch of pictures that you're going to have to put up!










No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014