Monday, January 12, 2015

Miracles

Monday, January 12, 2015
Dear family,

Perhaps the greatest convert of my mission will be myself.

Miracles happen. Hearts change. People soften.

This last week we had a sister come to church who hasn't been to church in FOREVER. Literally, forever. And we were able to teach this same sister FOUR times in seven days- this has never happened before. Everytime that we went to her house we would always be turned away. There would always be a reason (excuse?) for why she couldn't see us. But what changed everything was love.

It started out simple. Sister Lockwood and I just started with a little note, and a bag of cookies. That very same day she had received a HUGE package from Hong Kong, so you can imagine our dismay when we turned up at her house and saw their family opening a million things of far greater worth than our simple note and bag of cookies. But that note and those cookies must have changed something. I am sure it did. The love we tried to show her - after six weeks of being turned away, and I am sure as with the many weeks before I got here to Palawan - worked.

The next day we were able to teach her. She let us into her home. And we came back the next day. We taught. We came back twice again in the days following. She sat and listened to us. She talked to us. She made sure her daughters were present for the lesson too. A single mom, and three daughters.

I know that it isn't Sister Lockwood and I changing her life. It's something greater than us.

She came to Church yesterday. I could have cried when I saw her walk in. You have no idea how long we had been praying for her. And for the first time in our companionship, we had fasted for this sister last week. The blessings were immediate, no? I refuse to believe that it was just coincidence that the tides changed in our favor. It wasn't a stroke of luck. It was God. It was Christ.

Also- remember the Lopezs? And how Brother Lopez first lost his job because he was going to Church on Sunday and couldn't work on that day? GUESS WHAT! As of yesterday their WHOLE FAMILY was reactivated! And Brother Lopez found a job! What! No! Miracles left and right!

I am coming to realize that no matter how much I prepare myself to tell you guys everything, the words will probably never fully come. Ether once told me, "The mission will be your best kept secret." How true! The mission is my best kept secret. There are so many things that only God and I know. That only Sister Lockwood and I know. Things that only my journal knows. But that's okay. Because what matters is that I am coming to see, for myself, the reality of this gospel. The power of the Atonement. The power of God.

I AM SO BLESSED! I AM SO LUCKY. Don't worry, Mom, Dad. You taught me well. I count my blessings everyday.

In other world news:
I forgot to tell you all last week that I am no longer the "baby missionary" in the apartment! Or did I? I forget. Anyways we had a new missionary come in about two weeks ago. Her name is Sister Vaka. She is Polynesian-Canadian. I LOVE HER! Our apartment is the bomb. It feels so good not being the youngest missionary anymore! It's almost strange to think that seven weeks ago I was where Sister Vaka is! Everything gets better with time.
We have Chinese neighbours and they were fighting in Chinese the other day and I thought it was hilarious. Just thought you guys should know. I miss Chinese people. They are one of a kind.
The Newsons! Senior couple missionaries! Assigned right in our ward! We are so lucky. In Manila there are just TOO many missionaries that it is IMPOSSIBLE for couple missionaries to work so closely with any of them on a frequent basis. But here on Palawan, SPECIFICALLY Santa Monica, we get the Newsons! They are the best! They are like our grandparents. So loving, so kind. I can't wait to go on a senior mission when I am older!
I love you all so much! As each week passes I love these people more and more. I remember at the start of the mission having to beg Heavenly Father to help me love them. But now that the language is coming, the love is always there. I love the Filipinos.

We have interviews with President Ostler this Wednesday! I can't wait to meet with him and talk with him. Him and Sister Ostler both- I have such respect for them.

Always praying for you guys!

With love,
Sister Teo

P.S. I know the picture is blurry and weird but in a nutshell that is my relationship with Sister Lockwood. I love her like a sister and we have so much fun all the time!




   

No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014