Monday, January 19, 2015

From Zero to Hero!

Monday, January 19, 2015
Dear family,

     Whenever I sit down at the computer each Monday, my thoughts run in a million directions. I wish that I could take you guys on this journey with me. Miracles happen, everyday, left and right. I wish everyone could go on a mission. Missions are so good. I learn so much, everyday.

From zero to hero:
Guess how many INVESTIGATORS turned up at Church yesterday?!?! Remember how we have had ZERO turn up for the past ten weeks? GUESS WHAT! FIVE SHOWED UP! Five! Five?!?! Five! Five investigators came to church! After two months of zero people....five people came! I'm not sure anyone could be as excited for that as Sister Lockwood and I were. These five people included Brian and Fatima Anasis (husband and wife AND their two young girls), Jing-Jing, Tess, and Edna Quisido. When I come back to the Philippines to visit I will definitely be coming back to Palawan to check on these people. I don't know what lies up ahead for them but I know that I will forever remember them as being the FIRST FIVE investigators that I have EVER had at Church. Zero to FIVE! If you're thinking that's not a big deal...STOP! Because it is a big deal! I am so happy. I am so, so happy. We have a lot of work to do with these five in the weeks and months and years to come but I KNOW that they will blessed for the first step that they took.

Shanghai is right next door: 
SO remember how I mentioned in my email last week that we have Chinese neighbors? Guess what AGAIN! They are from Shanghai! What! The world is so small. I talked to the Dad. He's just here on a trip right now but he said that his daughter lives here permanently or something. Hopefully someday soon I will be able to start up a conversation with them!

BUDGETING:
What does that even mean? Just kidding. I have a (better) concept of money. As of right now we get our funds twice every month, on the 1st and the 15th. Starting Feb though, President Ostler is changing that to just ONCE a month! He wants the missionaries to learn how to budget. So instead of P4000 two times a month, we'll be taking out P8000 at one go. Not sure how that will gooooooo....but....if I can learn how to budget on the mission...........I can use it after the mission? :) Definitely still something I am learning.

Scripture for you, Mommy:
Proverbs 31:28.

"You two are different":
Two of our less-actives- WHO ARE NOW REACTIVATED!- said to Sister Lockwood and I last Monday, "You two are different." Imagine this- missionaries have been working with them for forever. They've known the church forever. But for them to have been reactivated with US as THE missionaries...the statement "You two are different" has such great meaning. We love these two women. Also on Wednesday we had FHE at the Lopez's home with our senior couple missionaries (will get to this topic in a bit), and Sister Newson (the senior couple missionary) looks at Sister Lockwood and I and says, "I wonder who the missionaries are that managed to get the Lopez's to come to Church! So many pairs of missionaries have tried and tried and tried and always failed. I wonder who they are!" AND I just look at Sister Lockwood and we just smile SO BIG at each other. And Sister Newson says, "Was it the two of you?" :)))))) Smiles all around.

"I've heard this before":
We taught a new investigator this week. Larry Moral. After we recited the First Vision to him he scratches his head, scrunches up his face and says, "I've heard this before. It's in the Bible somewhere." NO! It's not in the Bible, Larry! You heard this before, that's right. But you heard it in the pre-existence! How cool is it that he said that?! He literally has NEVER heard the First Vision before, that I know. But the fact that he was SURE that it was so familiar........we are closer to the veil than we know it, guys!

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER:
The branch held a funeral service for a member who passed away earlier this week. This member- Brother Rogelio Galupe- was literally just baptized a month ago. He knew then that his leukemia would probably get the best of him and that is actually one reason why he wanted to get baptized. How amazing is it that he managed to receive this ordinance before his passing? Life is too short. It is too fragile. But relationships perpetuate beyond the grave. And that is something I will forever treasure.

    I LOVE YOU FAMILY! The work is great! Sure there are mountains to climb everyday (literally and figuratively) but I have found that when you are grateful and cheerful, everything becomes easier. And if I'm planning on staying here until April 2016, gratitude is definitely a virtue I will need to sustain me!

Have a great week!

Gladys you turn 17 next week! Stop growing up so fast!

With love,
Sister Teo

P.S. So I get to the computer shop and realize I left my camera at home. Bummer. SORRY! Pictures next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014