Tuesday, June 30, 2015

FULL CIRCLE

Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Dear family, 


Just Smile And Walk Away
   This is a funny way to start off this email. We don't usually get ripped off too often but this past week TWO tricycle drivers have already ripped us off, both Sister Veras and I separately. Whenever they make us pay WAY more than what we need to, I always have this burning urge inside of to make a big scene and tell them there is no way I'm giving them that money and to get all fussy, but then I remember that oops, I am a missionary and I cannot say bad words (not that I ever would) and that I have to love everyone, even sneaky tricycle drivers who try to cheat us of our money. 

The end. 
++++++++++


Raff
   Raff is Mary Cris' older brother (Mary Cris is our recent convert who got baptized my third week here). Raff is 20 years old and super awesome and he HAD a baptismal date for July 25, but unfortunately he was a no-show at church yesterday...which means that his baptismal date will be pushed back to August 1. Not quite sure what happened and why he didn't make it, but he's reading the Book of Mormon and praying and is a great kid in general. He was our hope for a baptism this transfer!!!!! But...it's alright. He's still our goal for NEXT transfer. Please pray for him. He's your average YSA, trying to find his place in this world. This gospel will help him. Also, part-members are always golden. Whoopee.


++++++++++

My Lack of an Internal GPS
   Not spiritual or anything, but literally- I cannot. figure. out. directions. to. save. my. life. Leading this area is really fun. I love leading areas. It challenges me to step up to a higher level. But sometimes I get so lost, even within our little area, it gets embarrassing. Sister Veras is kind enough and patient enough and always just laughs whenever I get lost, but really. Let's face it. I am so bad with maps, or even with maps, or GPS, or whatever, I am so bad at directions. Remember Daddy that one time you asked me to read off the directions off Google Maps and then you realized that I was literally turning the iPad upside down to follow that moving dot? Yes. Win. Ether also knows first-hand my love for north-south-east-west directions. Living in Utah will be a TREAT


++++++++++

Good Impressions
   This week Sister Veras and I found a new investigator that we are going to start teaching. She is a Nanay, probably in her early 60s. She is Catholic but open to hearing about the gospel and we think that there is something there with her. She kept saying, over and over again, how impressed she was with us. How we are two young ladies who could be off in the world doing whatever else we wanted but instead are here in the Philippines serving our missions. She was...really impressed. Because she said it a million times. At least someone's proud of us? :) Haha, just kidding. I know you guys are proud of all of us missionaries too. But it's so good to know that other people respect us and what we do. We're giving this a good name. 


++++++++++

Planting Families
   Alot of our investigators in this area are couples who are not yet married. Marco and Carolyn are an example. I don't remember what I talked about last week and if I told you guys a bit of Marco's situation, but basically Marco was baptized at eight (along with the rest of his siblings and family), but then the church lost his records and so he's basically back to investigator status. This is where it gets a bit complicated. If Marco isn't a member (although technically he IS) and doesn't have records, they can't get married at church and then have Sister Carolyn baptized. They'd have to figure out all the marriage things on their own and THEN get baptized. A church wedding would save them big bucks because everything would be taken care of by the church, and that was what they wanted. 

...

   This is really hard to explain over email. 
   In short: everything is taken care of now. Our bishop talked to the stake president who said that Marco can get re-baptized FIRST and THEN they can get married at church (by bishop) and then right after, Sister Carol can get baptized.

   Gets? (Filipino way of saying, "Understand?")

   ANYWAYS - their marriage/wedding/union won't be for another couple of months, in which case I probably won't be here anymore (heartbroken) BUT HOW HAPPY I AM TO BE STARTING THEM OFF THIS PROCESS! :) I love them like family. Can't believe I don't have a picture with them yet, but I'll get one sometime these next couple of weeks. They are the best. 

   I have pictures attached of me and this OTHER couple but they aren't Marco and Carolyn; that's Dave and Joyce. Joyce is LA and Dave is non-member and they are a family but they aren't married. They are also another couple that we're helping to get married. 

Planting families. I love it. 


++++++++++

Tired, Happy, But Worth It
   Sister Veras and I worked REALLY hard this week. Which I LOVED. Hard work makes you feel good, even though you are dead beat by the end of the day and maybe a little annoyed too from all the body aches. But because we worked hard this week, she and I managed to hit ALL of our goals that we'd set! We hit our numbers :) Numbers aren't everything, but numbers are something. God was good to us. SEVEN investigators turned up at church. YES! 


It's been a good week. I love Sister Veras. I love this area. 

On we go.



With love,
Sister Teo



No comments:

Post a Comment

With love, Sister Teo © 2014